Thursday, July 18, 2013

Burrowing Owls

These are possibly the cutest birds I've seen on my trip to Florida. They are owls - tiny little owls on really long legs that live in burrows in open spaces. These owls' home is a baseball diamond in a state park. While their burrows are roped off so people don't step directly on them, they are otherwise in the midst of pretty intensive human activity - but they don't seem to mind all that much.

This time of the year, the owls were having chicks already, but the first one I saw was the matriarch of the family:
IMG_1476

IMG_1496

IMG_1486

I wish I could do that:
IMG_1483

After a while, the chicks - owlets - starting coming out one by one:
IMG_1551

IMG_1519

IMG_1512

IMG_1539

Until finally, the entire family cooperated on a group portrait:
IMG_1589


No comments:

Post a Comment