Saturday, October 16, 2021

2020 Big Year (NY tri-state area)

Once the pandemic hit last year, and all long travel got cancelled, I decided to take the opportunity to do something the birders called a "Big Year" - namely, trying to see as many species of birds as possible in a span of a single calendar year. Only in my case, the year would go from March to March (because March was when we all realized that we need to make new plans for that year), and bounded by a 2-hour-driving radius from my house (because anywhere farther wasn't safe). 

I saw all the regular birds, and chased as many rarities as I could. 2020 turned out to be a banner year for many rarities! It was exhausting, and I am don't think I'll do it again - the chase takes away from enjoyment. In the end though, I totaled up 299 species. I didn't go after three chase-able birds in the fall, so I could have gotten it over the 300 mark, but 299 is not bad at all for this region! 

Here are some highlights:
  • Farthest bird: Parasitic Jaeger, Cape May NJ
  • Rarest US vagrant: Hoary Redpoll, Sherwood Island State Park CT
  • Rarest international vagrant: Curlew Sandpiper, Meadowlands NJ
And here are the photo highlights:

Great Egret:
HM7A7893

Osprey with a very surprised fish:
HM7A2068

Harlequin Duck:
HM7A4158

Northern Flicker:
HM7A0372

Family of Tree Sparrows:
HM7A1302

Turkey Vulture:
HM7A0635

Bobolink:
HM7A6081

Great Horned Owl:
HM7A7042

HM7A4851

American Goldfinch:
HM7A2938

The sign of the times:
HM7A4391

American Black Duck and tons of sandpipers (I think Semipalmated sandpipers, but could be Least):
HM7A4851

Common Gallinule, also known as a moorhen:
HM7A8276

Ruby-throated Hummingbird:
HM7A7269

A very cold Great Blue Heron:
HM7A4550

HM7A4721

2 comments:

  1. ОЛЕГ, ПОСЛЕ ПРОСМОТРА ТВОИХ ПУБЛИКАЦИЙ У МЕНЯ ВОЗНИКАЮТ ЧУВСТВА ВОСХИЩЕНИЯ ТВОЕЙ УВЛЕЧЁННОСТЬЮ...!!! МОЛОДЕЦ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. congratulations on the accomplishment and the amazing photos that resulted!

    ReplyDelete