Sunday, January 17, 2021

My one Bird-of-Paradise

Birds-of-Paradise is a small family of birds with astounding dancing abilities. Most of them live in Papua New Guinea, but a few occur in north-eastern Australia, including this Victoria Riflebird:

HM7A9735

While on a bird tour, we found it sitting on a stick in a strategically selected location (in a forest, but in a little open area), and the guide told me that we were in for a show. Sure enough, a few minutes later, it started its funky courtship dance. (Sadly, no potential mates appeared!)
HM7A9660

Since these birds live in such remote places (at least remote from New York), I told my guide that this is likely the only bird-of-paradise I will ever see. Not just the only species - literally the only such bird. He then admitted to placing the stick there himself, knowing that a riflebird is bound to find and use it. I don't know how I feel about that, but I am sure glad I got to see it!
HM7A9668

A Galah parrot from Uluru. (BTW, both of these names are from Aborigines languages.)
HM7A5145

Aptly named Powerful Owl, found for me by a former co-worker friend in the Sydney Botanical Gardens:
HM7A0964

And look what it got! It looks to be a ring-tailed possum.
HM7A0949

A statuesque Australian Pelican:
HM7A2517

HM7A7498

Metallic Starlings do have that iridescent shine:
HM7A8456

They nest in big colonies inside trees. This one is out in the open, though:
HM7A8415

I also have a few cool duck close-ups to share. This is a female Maned Duck:
HM7A9008

Pacific Black Duck:
HM7A6736

A male Maned Duck on a windy day:
HM7A1341

Parting shot - an iPhone picture of a Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo that let me come super close in a Sydney park:
Sulphur-Crested Cockatoo 2 (Australia)

No comments:

Post a Comment