Saturday, June 14, 2014

Birding in Eilat

Eilat is the southern-most point in Israel, in a place where its land narrows down, squeezed between Jordanian and Egyptian mountains, and just manages to touch the Red Sea. Standing on Eilat's North Beach, on one side you can see planes coming down to land in Eilat's airport...
_MG_4168

... and on the other side is Aqaba, the sole Jordanian port town.
_MG_3350

Looking straight ahead, there is a tanker with a name that brings me a little closer to home.
_MG_4179

North Beach is so close to the Jordanian border you can throw rocks across it. The building in the middle is the Jordanian border watch tower:
_MG_3136

Here's a closer look (I am standing 20 yards from the border):
_MG_3181

Birds don't care about borders. Due to Eilat's location (in the valley between two mountain ranges, in a place that's the only land bridge between Africa and Euroasia), it is the major route for all sorts of migrating birds. Overall, several million birds pass through it within a three-week period each spring, including almost a million of raptors alone. I was there too late for this movement, but still managed to get quite a few good close looks at exotics.

This little green bee-eater was perfectly happy positioned on a date farm fence.
_MG_3228

_MG_3255

Walking around on the local roads, I saw something crossing the border, in formation, in the sky against the mountains:
_MG_2932

Taking a closer look, as they were coming for a landing...
_MG_2921

And it was a flock of flamingos! I couldn't believe it. I was seeing a wild flamingo parade around in front of my eyes!
_MG_2574

Border birding is not without its hazards...
_MG_3290

This is the somewhat tautologically named Spur-Winged Lapwing. It was omnipresent and noisy, but irresistible with its striking colors. It gets its name from a claw that it has hidden in its wings.
_MG_2827

_MG_2787

This is a different bird whom I flushed from its nest. It got really angry at me and dived-bombed me several times until it deemed that I moved sufficiently far away.
_MG_4212

Missed connection? The lapwing passes the Black-Winged Stilt mid-air.
_MG_4600

Here is a closer look at the Stilt:
_MG_4636

This is a marker for the local bike lane. Eilatians are not without humor :)
_MG_4640

An angry-looking Arabian Babbler hunts for insects on the desert ground.
_MG_2188

I can't resist this picture. It would have been more poetic if it were a border fence, but it's again just a farm perimeter. But I think it's cool anyway!
_MG_3263

No comments:

Post a Comment