Sunday, December 2, 2012

Forster's Tern dive


The lengths to which some of us would go to get a treat! But I am pretty sure no matter how much we love Twinkies (everyone seems to be talking about them now that they went bankrupt...), we wouldn't be prepared to dive heads-down into cold water to get them.

Check out this Forster's Tern. I was watching it circling around a pond, and I tried to catch a moment when it dove for fish. It's actually pretty hard! I was able to get it just once. The pictures a bit blurry, but I think the heads-down dive is pretty cool:

IMG_2887

IMG_2913

IMG_2901

On a separate occasion, another Forster's Tern couldn't believe its luck. It found a spot where the fish were literally jumping out of the water. It took a pass - and missed! Just take a look at his expression after that.

IMG_9983


Finally, I have a montage of yet another Forster's Tern's successful dive. Check out how much of his body goes underwater! BTW, notice that it looks different from the other two terns - that's because this was shot in late August, when the terns already assumed their winter colors.

IMG_8308


No comments:

Post a Comment